Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Hurts So Good: What Happened When I Tried Cupping Therapy

So apparently I'm a closet masochist because over the weekend I decided to try cupping. What is cupping you ask? It's a type of therapy where cups are placed in strategic places on your body, in my case my back, shoulders, and neck, and suction is used to create negative energy. This is in contrast to the positive energy used in standard massage techniques.

While cupping has been around for years - it was used regularly in ancient Chinese medicine - it has seen a rise in interest, becoming more popular after Gwenyth Paltrow donned perfect red circles on her back during a red carpet event. It garnered more interest when Michael Phelps showed up to the Olympic meets with the nasty marks.

So what does it do? The cups create suction that allows blood to get into tight muscles by loosening them and encouraging blood flow. Some say it can sedate the nervous system to help with depression and anxiety. Others praise it for its ability to draw out toxins that may have been lying dormant in muscles for years. It is touted for helping everything from migraines to rheumatism.

Okay, brace yourself, because here come the pictures.

Yep, that's my skin drawn up into those glass cups!

See those marks? Just wait. That's nothing.

I know what you're thinking, "Holy crap! Shay why on earth would you try something like that?"

Well, my little reader friends, I did it for the same reason you entertain doing many crazy things in life - I was desperate. For over a month, I had some muscles and trigger points that would not break no matter what I did. They were giving me a nonstop migraine and I felt like my right eye was going to pop out of my head, ala Glenn from The Walking Dead. I was even forced to eat soft foods because the muscle in my jaw was so tight, anything aggravated it. I tried deep tissue and trigger point massage therapy, a different version of cupping massage where they drag the cups over your skin (this did absolutely nothing), and chiropractic treatment. Nothing helped.

Two different massage therapists recommended I try cupping to "break the muscles," so I figured what the hell? I did my research, talked to a friend that has cupping done regularly, and scheduled the appointment. I'll admit, I was a little nervous.

It started off like any other massage.  We chatted for a bit about what areas were bothering me, and then I got under the blanket half-naked and he warmed up the muscles with a regular massage. After a few minutes, he put the first cup on. He explained that depending on my pain tolerance, he could use 1-5 pumps. Obviously the more pumps, the more negative pressure on the muscle.

The first and second pump felt like nothing. The third I felt a little pressure. The fourth a lot of pressure. But I wasn't here to mess around. I knew I had some crap that needed to be broken up, so being the she-woman I am, I went for the full five pumps. That's right, I am woman... hear me roar! Or in this case, whimper because that son of a b*%ch hurt.

To be fair, the first cup and two others hurt way more than the rest. I went 5 pumps across the board and after all was said and done, had fifteen cups total done that day. He focused on my rights side first, leaving the cups on for approximately 7 minutes. The left side was next. He placed the cups in position then massaged the right side while the other cups did their job. It's my understanding that normally they don't do that, but he said my muscles and triggers were so tight he feared I wasn't going to experience the relief I should.

After the skin on my back was covered in a smattering of polka dots, we moved to the front where he focused on my neck and shoulders. By the end, I looked like I had stood in front of one of those auto-pitch machines and let myself get pummeled with baseballs, and it kind of felt like it too. Although, again, to be fair, part of that was my choice because I chose five pumps. Presumably, if I had elected for fewer pumps they wouldn't have been as bad.

I went home and didn't do anything other than some writing. You're not supposed to workout or do engage in strenuous activity. I'm not sure if that has to do with healing or the very real possibility that the gym members may run out screaming, fearing you have contracted some crazy polka dot flesh-eating virus that will eventually turn you into a zombie. Okay, maybe I've seen one too many sci-fi movies.

They say the degree of bruising varies from person to person. If your bruises are dark it could mean you had more toxins or lactic acid trapped in the muscles. Two days later, and most of mine were a sexy shade of black and purple (see below). One or two were still pretty sore, and according to the masseuse, I have a very high pain tolerance, so that's saying something. The rest felt almost like I had a minor sunburn. Nothing was too uncomfortable and didn't disrupt my sleep, although I did feel those two spots I mentioned when I moved certain ways.
Clearly, I thought, how can I make myself less dateable?


So did it work?

The jury is still out on that. I think so. My muscles definitely released more than they did with the regular massage. I also noticed tiny, I'm going to call them calcium deposits, rising up in some of the bruises, which I thought was weird, but kind of cool if it was broken up from the therapy. I feel today, four days later, I'm still experiencing the benefits.

Would I do it again?

Sure, although not in the summer when bathing suits and tank tops might be worn. I would be curious to see how I felt after a couple of sessions and if the bruises would be lighter after subsequent treatments, assuming there would be fewer toxins and lactic acid build up in the muscles. I still favor deep tissue massage over anything else, but this definitely served as a springboard to help break up those knots.

*** Please note: People with certain conditions should not have cupping done. Check with your doctor before having the procedure. ***

Don't forget to follow me on FB, Twitter, and Instagram. And be sure to click the links below to check out my steamy, angst-filled contemporary romance duet: The Rise to Fame and The Cost of Fame available on  Amazon and other online retailers.

CLICK TO PURCHASE:

The Rise to Fame
The Cost Of Fame

If you'd like to read an excerpt from The Rise to Fame, click the link below to sign up for my newsletter.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER









No comments:

Post a Comment