Seriously - WTH?

Calling out the stupid...and boy is there a lot to call out.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Crush

My niece went to prom this weekend. I did her make-up, helped her with her dress, and then watched as she and a group of excited teenagers took 5 million pictures. As I listened to their happy teenage chatter I started thinking about high school and all of the crap that goes with it.

Now I hated high school. The clicks, the catty girls, and boys filled with too much testosterone that never seemed to ask me out. Still, there was one reason to gnaw through the bed restraints every morning and make my way off to this virtual hell.

OK, I just scanned through mullets. This
one is remarkably similar to "Joe's."
His name was Joe. (OK, it wasn't really, but I have friends that I went to school with that read my blog and given what I am about to tell you, I don't think he would want his real name known. Besides, I'm not certain if I could be sued for defamation). Anyway his name was Joe ;) He was about 6 feet tall, had eyes as blue as the ocean (the part without all of the oil in it), and had brown, curly permed hair, that was short on top, slicked back on the sides and just touching the top of his neck in the back. I know, I know...that's a nice way of saying a short mullet, but somehow, on him, it worked .

I had first seen him when I was in 7th grade. He was older and more mature...an 8th grader, and didn't know I existed, although I did catch him checking out my legs once or twice. For years, I had a secret love affair with him that he didn't know about. Well, maybe he did...OK, by the end of high school he would have been a total idiot to not have known, which, I heard he kind of was. Anyway, I was a cheerleader and he was a football player, so I got to see him on the bus every week and cheer my head off for him at games. I knew which way he would be coming after his classes so I made sure I was there talking to a friend so I could see him in the hallway. Hoping...praying that he would see me one day, realize his love for me and we would ride off into the sunset in his Camaro.

I'm the nerd on the left.

That didn't happen. The closest I got was when his best friend that was older and not at all attractive developed a crush on me. But that wasn't happening. I mean surely Joe would never date a girl that had gone out with his best friend. Besides, if nothing else, I was loyal. I was Joe's girl even if he didn't know it. How could I date someone else when my heart belonged to the boy in the acid washed jeans and polo shirt with the collar turned up? A little stalkerish. Perhaps. But hey, I was a stupid high school kid that thought Joe was the greatest thing since sliced bread. (Not that I ever dated sliced bread.) Besides with my luck, the minute I got a boyfriend, Joe would realize his love for me and I wouldn't be available. I spent almost 7 years pining for him, but nothing ever happened.

Until...

It was the end of Joe's senior year. I was about 2 weeks away from never seeing him again. You know except at the mall or when my best friend and I rode our bikes past his house 7 or 8 times a day. Still, I had to do something...

**More to come in my next post - remember to follow me by email and my blog will come right to your email account as soon as I post it:) Come on...you know you want to;) That's right...I'm not above peer pressure.**

20 comments:

  1. Joe looks an awful lot like George Clooney :) And you are pretty!
    P.S. I also hated high school - - ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Thanks, Judy. I was rocking the big '80's/90's hair.

      You know, I searched for mullets (boy, was that interesting!) and the only one that looked close was Clooney's. The rest, with the exception of John Stamos' were all redneckish and exaggerated. Plus, anything I can do to squeeze Clooney into a post;)

      Delete
  2. You know, I mostly enjoyed school. The school part, even. Yeah, I know. But what can I say? I did go to a "smart" school, though, so that probably helped.

    And I'm right with you on the pining part, though not for Joe. Her name did start with a J...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhhhhhh...not a cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!! Love your loyalty--fan-friggin-tastic!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, then it was loyalty. Today, it is stupidity.LOL

      Don't worry I won't make you wait a week for the conclusion.

      Delete
  4. Oh I can't wait for the next part... this is cracking me up. SO SADLY similar to my high school boy obsessions.

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't we ALL hate high school? Really? And by ALL I mean any of us who aspired to do anything with our lives aside from doing our hair, writing notes to pass in class, and going to the mall. Because sadly, I know a few who LOVED high school and this is all they seem to do with their lives now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I know! It freaks me out when people talk about how high school was the best time of their lives. Basically, the rest of their life sucks. It's funny too...see I have this theory: a lot of people, especially men, choose and stay with a hairstyle from what they believe is the best period of their lives. That's why some are still sporting mullets.

      What is even sadder is I know a guy that talks about how Middle School was the best time of his life. I try to block that phase of growing up.LOL

      Delete
  6. The Mullet, a hairstyle surely invented by Satan himself.

    I had a crush in school on my brother's best friend and followed him around for a year. Our big imaginary love affair ended when he said, "I think you're really good looking...you look just like your brother." And there was me thinking that everyone called him Gaylord because he was posh and always happy.

    Thanks for the repressed memory. This was pant wettingly funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just commented on the mullet to another reader.See I have this theory: a lot of people, especially men, choose and stay with a hairstyle from what they believe is the best period of their lives. That's why some are still sporting mullets.

      OMG on the whole you being attractive because you look like your brother thing. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George dates a girl that looks like Jerry.LOL

      Delete
  7. No! I want to know now. I had a Joe, by the way. His name is actually Joe, and it's perfectly fine if he sues me. Negative attention is still attention, and seeing me now, he may finally fall in love with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally believe he would fall for you now...only you probably wouldn't have any interest in him at all.

      BTW, don't worry. I won't make you wait a week for the conclusion;)

      Delete
  8. Woah! You can't just end it like that! Anyway, the mullet can in no way compare to my epic 3" thick bowl cut.

    Hilarious post per usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures PLEASE!!!! The question is were you 6 when you were sporting the bowl cut or were you 16. That's the difference between adorable and dork. haha

      Don't worry, I won't make you wait a week for the conclusion;)

      Delete
  9. I am stuck to my chair. Yes, I am anxiously anticipating the next part of this post, but my chair also has gum in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when that happens! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once dated sliced bread. She broke my heart and sliced our relationship in two. I was left to pick up the crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Thanks for the warning. I will stay away and stick to muffins;)

      Delete
  12. I just found your blog -- love it! The picture in the header is awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Vero! I have to admit...I love the picture in my header too. Very appropriate. I hope you will visit my blog often:)

      Delete