Seriously - WTH?

Calling out the stupid...and boy is there a lot to call out.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Merry Christmas … the new F%#k You.

Can someone please tell me when Merry Christmas became swear words?

I am a Christmas freak, something I inherited from my father. When I was little we had so many twinkle lights on our house that the neighbors feared passing planes would mistake it for a runway. We even lived on Griswald Street, which for all of you non-Christmas freaks out there is the last name of the family in the Holy Grail of all Christmas movies, Christmas Vacation.

Growing up I always loved that special smell in the brisk air that happened only at Christmas time. People seemed to be more pleasant than they were at any other time of the year. Classic Christmas music played on the radio and in shops to help put everyone in the spirit. Beautiful trees with dancing lights and multi-colored bulbs, tinsel and garland decorated malls as far as the eye could see. Eager shoppers carrying armfuls of packages, hurried from store to store in search of the perfect gift or at least one that wouldn’t be returned. Family members that rarely see each other throughout the year came together for dinner, good times and a little too much eggnog. Everyone seemed a little happier, a little more courteous and friendlier in honor of the season.

So to those certain individuals that take it as a personal assault on their religion or beliefs when I wish them a Merry Christmas I have this to say: Stop being a bunch of oversensitive, big babies!


I am not teasing and pointing saying, “Nah-nah, my religion is better than your’s" or “Ha! You got a dradle! Check out my new X-box.” No, I am simply wishing you some of the feelings, good cheer and love that go along with this season and that I feel at this time of year.

Don’t get me wrong, I get it. It must be hard when everywhere you turn you are bombarded with blinking lights, specials on television and lawn displays that include Santa riding a Harley. It is shoved down your throat.

To that I say, what’s stopping you from doing the same? When I was younger, I had never even heard of Hanukkah until I was in the 10th grade and found out my teacher was Jewish and didn’t celebrate Christmas. To me, that was a travesty. Not the fact that she didn’t celebrate Christmas, but that I hadn’t ever been exposed to different religions and customs.

Hanukkah, Buddhists and every other religious group can do the same thing as those that celebrate Christmas. Make holiday specials about your beliefs. Put giant minoras on your lawn and hang up banners. Don’t just rely on Adam Sandler to write all of the Hanukkah songs.

I would also like to state that I am not picking on the Jewish community. I simply don’t know what types of landmark days other religions celebrate. Why? Because, with maybe the exception of Cinco de Mayo (bring on the margaritas), I, like many, haven’t been exposed to those traditions.

So when I see you and say, “Merry Christmas, “I am not saying, “F@%k you and your religion!” So please, don’t respond like I am. Simply say, “Thanks and Happy Hanukkah” or “Yes and Happy [insert holiday here].” And if your special holiday happens during another time of year, feel free to celebrate, decorate or whatever else floats your boat.

Until then, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanza, Ramada, Flag Day and every other holiday.

                        Oh, and Merry Freakin’ Christmas!


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you 100%.....only thing I have a problem with these days is the fact that so many people are trying so hard to get public places to stop saying merry christmas and only being able to say happy holidays now. t pisses me off personally. The U.S. is the melting pot of the world, full of different cultures and religions. But lets not forget what the foundation of this nation was based off of. Christmas is a big part of that and our traditions as americans. All those other people taking offense to our customs of life over here need to be just as respectful to them as we need to be to theirs. If you guys really dont like it then move back to the countries you came from. Im not going to have my christmas and other holidays I enjoy ruined for the sakes of you thin skinned wussies! Maybe if people put as much effort into fixing their own countries or even lives as they do trying to get christmas out of the holiday, or in God we trust out of OUR countries pledge, then maybe they would be a little better off. ......ok end of rant lol!

    ReplyDelete