Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Teaser excerpt from my book,"Why Am I still Single"

Excerpt from my book, "Why Am I Still Single?" Chapter title: The Savior:



Johnny had gotten a job as a mechanic and I, already having worked in the insurance industry, quickly found a job as a customer service agent. Our days were spent together and every night, we fell asleep in each other's arms. He held me so close that if I moved even the slightest bit, he would grasp me tighter and beg me not to leave him. Some nights I used to wake up feeling his tears on the back of my neck only to find him sound asleep admist a dream. I would hold him, stroking his hair until he calmed, assuring him everything would be okay.



Every once in a while I would catch him deep in thought. Puzzled, he would look at me and ask me why I was with him. It always bothered me. Several times when we were out, he would see a professional looking man in a suit or driving a nice car and comment about how that was the kind of guy I should be dating. I would make a joke about not being into threesomes and we would change the subject. But when he would come out and ask me, I always gave him the same answer. I didn't give a damn about how much money someone had or what another guy looked like, they would never be him. This appeased him for the most part.



The truth was, I didn't even look at other guys when I was with him. We had this undeniable, all encompassing bond right from the start. I had never felt that way before with anyone. I guess he felt the same, which is why one night when we were sitting in a parking lot talking, he looked at me and said, "You know I love you."

I smiled, held his stare and said, "And I love you."

"No," he said, his eyes taking on a strange intensity, "I really love you. I'm like crazy about you."

"I'm crazy about you too."

He put his head down, then looked back up at me, his eyes gravely serious and said, "If you ever cheated on me, I would kill you."

3 comments:

  1. Having had the pleasure of reading the whole manuscript, I feel I can give my educated opinion here and say this is the best chapter! Everything about it rings true. Of all the personality types in this book, I relate most to The Savior.

    ReplyDelete